Avon Grove Scholarship Foundation
The Avon Grove Scholarship Foundation was founded in 1984 as a non-profit, charitable organization to raise money toward a trust fund from which income will be distributed annually for scholarships to Avon Grove High School seniors.
- A board of directors consisting of volunteers from the community runs the Foundation. The Foundation is incorporated, is audited yearly, and files yearly returns with the IRS and the State of Pennsylvania.
- The Finance Committee is responsible for seeing that the Fund earns the greatest possible return. They report quarterly to the other members of the board.
- The Foundation awards $1000 scholarships each year. The money comes from the annual earnings, which determines the number of scholarships awarded each year. The first scholarships were awarded in 1985 and as of 2020, $815,000 in “Fund a Future” scholarships have been awarded. The Elizabeth B. Faris Memorial Scholarships are also given through the foundation. These scholarships are sometimes more substantial then the Fund a Future Scholarships and are awarded based on specific criteria at the benefactor's bequest. As of 2019, $662,000 has been awarded. This is a total of more than $1.45M in scholarships awarded to AGHS seniors!
- Scholarships are awarded in the following areas:
Business, Communications and the Arts, Human Services, Health Sciences, STEM, Two years or less of post secondary education, and Undeclared.
- A scholarship is given to the top female and male student and at least one scholarship in each area of study. Named scholarships are awarded based on the criteria specified by the benefactor. Additional scholarships are awarded proportionately to the number of applicants in each area. With increased support and, therefore, revenue, the board would hope to give additional scholarships in the future.
- The Guidance Department is responsible for selecting the recipients based on a process and criteria established by the board of directors of the Avon Grove Scholarship Foundation.
- The students are selected on the basis of scholarship, leadership, and financial need. The emphasis is on financial need.
Applications are given out at a special senior assembly in early March.
Applications are available in the guidance office of the Avon Grove High School.
A student must meet the following criteria:
1. Be a graduating Avon Grove High School student.
2. Be accepted to an approved post-high school educational institutution. [eg. universities, colleges, vocational, trade and technical schools]
3. Submit this application to the Avon Grove High School Guidance Office by the published deadline.
How can you help?
The annual earnings determine the number of scholarships awarded each year. We will be able to maintain or increase the number of annual scholarships by increasing the principal. By supporting the Scholarship Foundation in any of the following ways, you can help “Fund a Future”:
- Gifts of cash, securities, land, bequests, or life insurance policies are gladly accepted.
- A gift of $36,000 enables the contributor to name a yearly scholarship.
- A gift of $18,000 enables the contributor to name a scholarship to be given every other year.
- Donations of any size are welcome.
Contributions can be mailed to:
Avon Grove Scholarship Foundation
PO Box 266
West Grove, PA 19390
Board of Directors
Jason Roper, President
Julie Di Vittorio, Vice President
Ian Burns, Treasurer
Jackie Traino, Secretary
Scott De Shong, Principal AGHS
Todd Buonocore, Consultant
Steve Michaels, Consultant